I get some perplexed looks when I drink/eat my green smoothies in public. Only the brave will question what it is I’m eating with the extremely courageous interested in more details to try themselves. I always assure them how surprised they’ll be when they do try it, but this usually gets me more looks.
For those of you who haven’t tried my ol’ faithful (I have a Green Smoothie every single day) here are a few FAQ’s to possibly peak your interest just enough to get you to try it.
Why do you drink a green smoothie as opposed to a regular smoothie?
- Get more greens in my day – greens balance your pH levels due to the alkalinity, are high in nutrients and enzymes necessary to keep you healthy, and they are powerful antioxidants. They truly are a superfood with the highest readily available protein and other vital nutrients (iron, omega fatty acids, flavonoids, just to name a few) in comparison to other fruits and vegetables.
- Adding greens increases the amount of fiber to fill me up without weighing (literally & figuratively).
Does it taste green (like grass or weeds)?
- Sometimes I’ll admit it may be a little too green tasting, but usually I can’t even taste the vegetables especially spinach since it is such a mild green.
How do you make a typical Green Smoothie?
- I always, always, always start with either a banana or an avocado.
- 1 cup of almond milk is a must (or soy, hemp, rice milk)
- 2 big handfuls of greens (spinach, kale, romaine)
- 1 merjool date and another piece of fruit (another banana, peach, nectarine, berries, etc.) for sweetness.
- Blend. Pour. Devour.
What are your favorite additions to your Green Smoothie?
- the more bananas the better.
- chia seeds
- carob powder
- coconut milk
- pumpkin pie spice
- irish oats
- flax seeds
- hemp seeds
- coconut oil
- raw cacao
- goji berries
Is the Green Smoothie all you eat for breakfast? Is it a meal replacement?
- A green smoothie is what I have for breakfast most days which holds me over typically 4 hours.
- If it is a meal replacement I shoot for 300 – 400 calories to satisfy my energy needs with a variety of add-ins to satisfy my nutritional needs.
- There are days when I will have only Green Smoothies, 4 to 6, when I’m feeling not so good and need a little boost.
- I always eat mine with a spoon because they are typically as thick as pudding. This slows my eating process and gives my brain and stomach time to talk to know if I’m good or need more.
Don’t you feel deprived?
- Absolutely not!
- I never have the same Green Smoothie twice.
- Knowing that I am creating the possibility to live the longest, healthiest, and happiest life fulfills me more than any burger, pasta, pizza, or cookie (ok maybe not cookie 🙂 ) ever could.
What are some of your other smoothie recipes I can try?
Need more reason to eat your Green Smoothies? There are tons of research out there but here are a few mentionables.
- Want a golden glow? Skip the spray tan, eat your vegetables.
- If Harvard says it’s true… then it’s true!
If you haven’t done-so, please be sure to read Monday’s post and join in on the convo. Looking for your feedback!
Tell me about you.
Be gentle. Be kind. Be loving to you.